The King bed size dimensions are: 183cm width x 203cm length. The King bed is growing in popularity in Australia for couples because of the extra space compared to the Queen.
The table below shows a comparison of Australian mattress sizes. We suggest checking out pillow sizes as well as you want to match your bedding based on your bed size. You can even get a King pillow to match your king mattress!
Key Tip: the King Single is 76cm less wide than the standard King.
Bed Size Comparison
|Bed Size||Metric (cm) width x length||Imperial width x length|
|Single||92cm x 188cm||3 ft x 6 ft 2in|
|King Single||107cm x 203cm||3 ft 6 in x 6 ft 8 in|
|Double||138cm x 188cm||4 ft 6 in x 6 ft 2 in|
|Queen||153cm x 203cm||5 ft x 6 ft 8 in|
|King||183cm x 203cm||6 ft x 6 ft 8 in|
|Super King||203cm x 203cm||6 ft 8 in x 6 ft 8 in|
King bed size vs queen
The King size bed is 30 cms wider than the Queen bed. The length (203 cms) is exactly the same for both beds.
Factors to consider for a King bed
Before you choose your King bed there are a number of considerations for this bed size listed below:
- Space: Room space is a key factor when people consider the size of the bed they want to purchase.
- Number of people: One person meeding a mattress will generally opt for a single, Double or Queen (for those wanting a bit of a luxurious space). For two people, a Queen and King are the most popular. The Super King is the one of the fastest growing bed sizes - it can fit 4 people!
- Age of person: Kings are generally a bed for couples. The most popular size for a couple is a Queen. Whereas, a Single will suit children.
- Size of person: A larger framed person is likely to enjoy a larger mattress with extra space so the King will be perfect.
- Sleep style: If you are a combination sleeper and move around during the night then you should consider a larger mattress or one that limits zero partner disturbance. Also, if you are a hot sleeper you may like to have some extra space. This is another advantage of a King bed size over a Queen.
- Weight of mattress: Most mattresses require you to rotate them every few months. So having a mattress you can lift is important. Unfortunately, given the size of the King mattress they are generally very heavy!
- Bed Frame: If you own an existing bed frame you may want to keep this so your choice will be decided by what you have - most couples will have a Queen.
Dimensions Guide: King Beds
King size bed by brand
|King Bed Size||Metric (cm) width x length||Weight|
|#GoKindly||183cm x 203cm||40kg|
|Sleeping Duck||183cm x 203cm||65kg|
|Ikea||183cm x 203cm||Varies|
|Forty Winks||183cm x 203cm||Varies|
|Snooze||183cm x 203cm||Varies|
|Koala||183cm x 203cm||42kg|
What size is a King Bed Frame?
The King Bed Frame can vary depending on the style and materials used.
If you have the room, then a King bed provides you with a luxury space. Sleeping in a king bed as a couple can limit partner disturbance to give you a better nights sleep. Combine it with the perfect pillow and you will be sleeping on a cloud.